The village of Beaumont was thought to have been named by Curtis Everett of Summer Shade around 1906. Ten years before that it was named after the postmaster, Button Sweeza. About a mile southwest of Beaumont was Smith’s Crossroads where Mrs. Nancy W. Smith operated a hotel. Many of the stagecoaches on the way from Glasgow to Burkesville would stop, since it was the half-way point.
Ray’s Crossroads was located about half a mile northwest. Many references are made during the Civil War of camping and passing through Ray’s Crossroads. About one mile west of Beaumont is Branstetter Park. The park was named by John L. Branstetter who was born at Beaumont for the purpose of an annual homecoming.
Tragedy has also struck in Beaumont. On March 18, 1925, six members of the community were killed by a tornado that swept through the area during the early part of the night. On April 28, 1985, five people were killed when a pipeline exploded that was owned by Texas Eastern Pipeline.
The Smith’s Inn, or stage hotel as it was called, near Beaumont was used to care for the needs of passengers traveling. The house was weather boarded with yellow poplar and strips. Each room had a fireplace. It was in operation for over twenty years. Standing in front of the inn are Mr. and Mrs. Nancy W. Smith. The location of the hotel became known as Smith’s Crossroads.
This house was known as the Branstetter Hotel. In 1870, it was operated by Joseph C. Branstetter who lived with his mother, Elizabeth Branstetter. It was thought to have stood near the location of the store in Beaumont today.