Center, located at the extreme northern end of the county, was one of the first neighborhoods settled south of the Green River. According to a Kentucky land grant, Certificate #939, and Green County Land Entry #1026, William Ratliff received a patent for 200 acres of land on September 28, 1798. The land was on the "west side of the Little Barren River and about one mile for pilot Knob on the west side of a large boiling spring." The land described was later the location of Center.
The first evidence of Joseph Philpot being in Barren county was on July 2, 1807, when he married Margaret Marshall. According to deeds recorded at the Barren County Courthouse, Philpot began to plan a town and sell lots in this town he called Frederick for various businesses and homes until his death on April 10, 1860.
When the village prepared to apply for a post office in the 1830ís, it was discovered that Christian County already had a post office by this name so the name was changed to Center because it was an equal distance from the four main towns in Metcalfe County. The post office was established on November 14, 1838, with Samuel W. Thompson as postmaster.
Mr. Philpot (1773-1860), a saddler by trade, built a number of businesses and homes according to Eugene Newman. Along with the main street through town was a road leading from Greensburg to Glasgow. At the other end of town was a tavern. The construction date is unknown but on February 17, 1851, David Philpot was issued a license to operate a tavern in his home in Lafayette.
By 1860, there were several businesses in Center. There were two shoe and boot makers, a blacksmith, a cabinet maker and a merchant. The first school at Center was built by Joseph Philpot near his home. Center had a graded school just like any other, but it wasnít until April 28, 1919, that the Metcalfe County Board of Education made provisions for a high school. The board met again on April 7, 1920, and gave approval for a two0-year high school at Center. On August 1, 1921, classes began. Later the high school became a four-year school. The high school at Center closed in 1956, followed by the grading school's closing in 1959.