The community of Sulphur Well was discovered and the community that evolved around it were a result of Ezekial Nealís initiation and desire to improve his standard of living. He began acquiring land along the South Fork in September, 1832. He began digging for a well in 1845. Using a hand and horse-powered six-inch drill, he worked for weeks until he reached a depth of 180 feet. When he hit water, he was disappointed that he did not find a salt well. But upon being analyzed, the water was found to have Sulphur, magnesia, salt and iron. The stream of water has continued to run since that time.
Neal opened his home as a hotel for the people who came to the area to drink the water. He then sold the land to William Green of Hart County for $2,000, but he continued to live there for a few years. As word of the well spread, people began to come to the area to visit the well that was thought to have healing powers. At times, various residents of the community operated boarding houses and hotels. In 1902, Catlett W. Thompson began construction on the Beula Villa Hotel. It opened for business in 1903. The Beula Villa Hotel was known for its warm, relaxed atmosphere and good food that was served family-style in two dining rooms.
Sulphur Well did not have a post office until July 30, 1879. At that time Thomas Qusenberry became postmaster. There werenít many businesses in Sulphur Well, but there were some in the surrounding area to serve the community's needs.