The village known as Knob Lick , named for the salt lick where wild animals gathered and a knob about a mile to north of the lick, was so named when the post office was established there of July 23, 1876, with Frank S. Ewing, postmaster.
One of the earlier settlers in the Knob Lick area was Samuel Shannon, Sr. (1771-1851) who entered Barren County now Metcalfe, when he bought 303 acres of land.
By 1850, the village and surrounding area had a number of businesses and professional people. There was a tankard, brick mason, a blacksmith, wagon maker, shoemaker, miller, and several lawyers.
In late August or early September, 1853, the circus was to be in Knob Lick. The night before the performance, the manager of the group came down with Asiatic Cholera and died. The circus moved on to Knob Lick where the people knew nothing of the proceedings in Glasgow until the nest day. As a result, cholera was reported in Knob Lick. The number of deaths are unknown. A year later two other people died.
The post office established in July 23, 1867, with Frank S. Ewing as postmaster.
Because of its location on Knob Lick Creek which is joined by other small branches is subject to flooding. The worst flood was that of January 1937 when many of the residents were forced from their homes. In this flood you can see the Louis Ball home and store. The high waters reached the second floor of the Ball Home.
Designed by: Ginny Acree